Saturday, May 10, 2014

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...


One of the many cool things about Europe is how easy it is to travel around, especially by bus. Bus is a really comfortable and economical choice for a long or short trip. Plus, almost any destination is available by bus and you don't have to brave the narrow winding roads by car.
I'm sure everyone--especially the older readers--has a memory of a Greyhound ride somewhere. Most of the things I hear make me think that buses in the US are slow and packed with weirdos. Here, we have the wonderful privilege of NOT being able to understand what people around us are saying... Most of the time.
Now, I present you with the beginning of our journey. Ty and I pick our seats, settle  in, and look around. To the front on the right is a woman with a very young toddler. On all other sides, Americans. Would you believe me if I told you the toddler was the most well behaved out of the crowd?
Let me introduce you to our lovely riding partners! Behind us, a man who ALWAYS snorts when he laughs (which is quote frequently) sitting with a woman who thinks very highly of herself, her many piercings, and her punk rock band. To our right, the well-traveled teenagers. Also very "confident." Confident enough to speak loudly so everyone can hear how "rad" Reichstag was. Sigh.
I love America, and I love Kansas most of all, but after spending a few months as a Czech I'm starting to see where we get our bad rep. This is mostly because the people I've seen visiting can't grasp the concept of speaking in "six inch voices" (as my elementary teachers would say). I'm sure they're all nice people, but there's definitely a time and place for loud conversation: outside, and not when the bus takes off at 7 o'clock in the morning.
So, here's to hoping on our next bus ride we're surrounded by a bunch of Germans! Haha, thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment