Saturday, June 28, 2014

ExpLOHRing Germany

One of the best things about coming to Europe has been reconnecting with people I never knew I would be able to see again! In high school, I was lucky enough to meet several foreign exchange students from different parts of Europe, and for the most part made wonderful friends. One of these great friends I made, Aileen, lives in Lohr, Germany.


Aileen came to Weskan for a year during my senior year in high school. During that time she made great friends, we my sister, Savannah and I. She is just a super sweet girl who makes friends really easily and is fun to hang out with! Needless to say, I was eager for her to meet Ty and see her hometown!
This is a picture of Savannah and Aileen cheesin' it up about three years ago!

When we first arrived in Lohr, we were immediately amazed by the town. It's nestled into hills covered in evergreens, and by German standards is a very small town of about 25,000 people.

This is the view from Aileen's house. The view is further improved by an ice cream truck. Yes, I'm twenty, married, and I still got ridiculously excited when Aileen told me to listen for the music. We made sure to get in line before the little kids could take all the good ice cream!

We were also really lucky to meet Aileen's parents. They were incredibly sweet to us and welcomed us wholeheartedly into their home. Ty and I were lucky enough to be able to chat with them, and eat the wonderful schnitzels that Aileen's mom cooked for us! We're really excited to try to replicate the schnitzels and potato salad she made when we get back to Kansas.

The first night in Lohr was the night Germany was playing Portugal in the World Cup. Aileen took us to a bar and we saw just how proud Germans are of their soccer team. (Or technically Futbol team.) Beer flowed freely, people were quick to yell at the screen at the players, and when Germany scored all hell broke loose, complete with jumping, screaming, noise makers, and toasts! I'm really glad Germany won, because I wouldn't fancy being around when they lost! After the game we walked to town square, and just about every car in town was driving around with German flags hanging out the windows, blasting music, and honking at everyone who walked by. It made for a really interesting night!

Our second day in Lohr was a nice day to hang out and relax.
We all had a really great time sitting on the deck in the sunshine!

That evening was when the fun began. We taught Aileen how to play BS. (BS is a card game that she won... with a little cheating!) And shocked her mom by staying out on the porch late into the night wrapped in blankets with a couple of candles playing cards.

Because we only had a short time in Germany, we left the next day to Frankfurt. It was hard to say goodbye to such wonderful people, but I'm glad Aileen will be visiting Kansas this summer, so I'll get to see her in about a week! Yay!

Anyway, we definitely enjoyed expLOHRing Lohr. (I had to slip one pun in there. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment