Sunday, June 8, 2014

Too much sun will make you (Mont)peel(ier)

Eventually, we had to leave Rome. Another city was calling our names. Montpellier, France.

At CULS, we were lucky enough to meet many different exchange students. Some of our greatest friends had been from France. While they all appreciated Paris, they said the South was where it’s at. (If you want a giggle imagine a combination of a pompous French accent and a Southern drawl.) Because we believed our friends and wanted to see a city in France other than Paris, we took their advice.

The bus from Rome to Montpellier left at 5:30 in the evening and arrived at 9:00 the next morning. The college kid in me was thrilled: yay! I don’t have to pay for a hostel for the night! The hoity toity sophisticated woman in me worried what my hair would look like after a night of restless, vertical sleep. The trip really wasn’t bad until we arrived in Firenze (Florence, Italy) and some ill-behaved children got on. The mom was trying to breastfeed her baby while her three kids (two ornery boys and a very sweet and spoiled girls) argued about who sat where. The dad of course was too busy chatting with one of his friends to be of much help. But, around midnight they calmed down and I drifted in and out of sleep until we got to Montpellier.

The bus stop was simply that: a bus stop. There weren’t any offices around, only a metro stop. Feeling unceremoniously dumped off, we bought our tickets and attempted to find our hotel. The sun was shining, and it seemed like it would be a good day. The metro took us as close to our hotel as we could get (about a mile and a half away) and we walked in the hopes of finding a bus stop. Which we did! We waited by the signpost for the bus that was supposed to come at 10:15. The bus came… and then drove away. If I could have seen the bus driver I would have sang “achy breaky heart” to him so he could understand how I felt. Since that wasn’t an option, I shelved my hypothetical Billy Ray mullet, and Ty and I walked the mile and a half.

Ty’s parents and his Venture Scout sponsor, Mark, should be proud; only five minutes into the walk and Ty was suggesting I serenade him with hiking songs. But I think I didn’t have the right idea because he scoffed when I started singing “One step at a time, duh duh duh da duh duh da daaaaaa.”

After proving I should only sing in the shower, we made it to the hotel. The manager spoke very little English, but he was helpful and sent us out to the beach. To get to the beach we had to ride a bus about an hour to a small seaside town named “Sete.” It’s probably named that because all anyone wants to do there is “Sete” by the beach and drink margaritas. 


The first thing we saw when we stepped off the bus in Sete.

If I was going to sit by a beach and drink margaritas, this would definitely be the place to do it. The whole lazy beach town looks like something from a movie.  Small amounts of people strolled through the streets browsing the small shops along the sidewalks. Motor boats drifted along the canal that parted the city, and the sandy beach was littered with families laying out in the sun or playing typical beach games. Our time In Sete was literally and figuratively a breath of fresh air.
There's my breath of fresh air.


That night at the Sun hotel Ty and I got to talking about our trip and what traveling is all about. This may seem like a spoiled thing for me to say, but I’m tired of seeing pretty building after pretty building. Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely impressed by the skill and effort it must have taken to build such wonderful bits of architecture. However, in the short case of wanderlust I’ve acquired, my least favorite thing about the trips are the man made heaps of stone.

So what are our favorite parts of our travels? Ty’s best times were spent on the beach listening to the water lap against the sand, bent over looking for shells. It’s really unfortunate Ty’s name isn’t Sally because then he could just sell shells down by the sea shore! (Ha!) Most of the memorable bits of the trip to me aren’t man-made, they’re God-made. I can’t help but marvel at the land as we make our long bus rides between locations. How the land can be so beautiful and useful at the same time continually amazes me. I also really like the times where we do strange things… like taking a suggested drink from a server in Hungary that turned out to be 75% alcohol. Or accidentally wandering into a classic rock concert. Things like that really stick out in my memory, and I want more things like that to happen.

This train of thought got us rolling onto how we wanted to spend the rest of our trip. We were scheduled to go to Barcelona next, and I asked Ty, “What do you want to do in Barcelona?” He pursed those cute lips of his and was lost in thought for a second, and then said… wait for it… “I don’t know.” “Me either,” I agreed.

With that, we hopped online—have I mentioned how much I love wifi?—and changed our tickets from Montpellier to Barcelona to Montpellier to Brussels. (Can you say waffles?!) The next day we walked around Montpellier, sat in a park, talked, and really took in our surroundings before we set off for our next adventure in Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment