Monday, March 24, 2014

What's my favorite class? Lunch.

My family and I have this ongoing joke about how all I do here is eat beer and drink cake. (haaa alcoholic humor) and to that I have to say:
It's crepes, not only cakes. ;)

I have really enjoyed indulging in the culture here--especially food, but there's definitely been some surprises. For example, who knew getting a coffee could be an adventure? Everywhere on campus there are these big red vending machines... for coffee. Not very common in the US. Anyway,  today I was craving a french vanilla cappuccino. The only thing I could read on the machine was "Irish Cream Cappuccino," so I decided that was close enough. Well, I found out that Irish Cream literally means IRISH cream. There was alcohol in my coffee! What?! Isn't that a lame joke people make when they've had a rough day? I mean, I got ALCOHOL from a vending machine. Crazy. And depressing. (Ensue whining.) I just wanted a french vanilla  cappuccino. I ended up throwing away the cappuccino--it just wasn't the same.

Ty and I have also gone on our own food adventure. We decided if we are to continue our beer and cake addiction, we are going to eat healthy when we eat in our dorm. Cauliflower mash with sauteed vegetables was my first attempt.
Believe it or not, it was pretty good when we added all the unhealthy stuff! (Cheese, salt, pepper.)

It's also been strange to see what people perceive as "American" food. Example number one:
That's right, those are hot dogs... in a jar... with an American flag. No, just no.

Now, I like my seafood about as much as a person from Kansas can, but this has me a little hesitant to try it here:
Did they just spell SEAfood wrong?

On a less risky note, Ty and I decided to enjoy the nice weather on Saturday and go on a picnic. Ty made delicious chicken and broccoli alfredo, green beans, and we brought some sliced up kiwi along. I could have stayed out there all day. Here are some pictures from our campus on that beautiful day.



We had a really good time laying out in the sun until the wind really started picking up. It's been raining solidly up until this evening. I really wish I could send the rain back to Kansas and enjoy the sunny weather again!


Thanks for reading. Also, thanks to Ty's wonderful mother who is sending us a package full of treats! (Aka velveeta. YAY!) We're going to invite all of our foreign friends over and make some mac n cheese and pb&j so we can share American food with them! :)

If you have any idea of actual AMERICAN dishes let us know!
I'll end this post with some classy food humor. :)



2 comments:

  1. We are willing to send American food... So that you and Ty can survive :). Will get in touch with Tami to see about adding are items. If there are other things besides food, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're only in our dorms for about a month and a half before we go on our big trip, so unless you guys really want to that isn't necessary and shipping is REALLY expensive. We would LOVE to have letters or cards from the US though. :) Thank you for being so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete