Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Who needs a museum?

Graffiti. What a gross word. When I think of "graffiti" I think of the seedy parts of town. The parts of town where people walk a little faster to get out of there, where parents pull their children a little closer, and where danger--whatever it may be--is lurking right around the spray painted corner.

Well, as far as I can tell, "artists" don't discriminate in Europe. Just about every available surface is stained, and it doesn't matter what part of town you're in. 
This was in Brno, Czech Republic. Some of them are pretty talented, and have surpassed the whole "scribbling" "gang signs" phase of vandalism. 

And then, there are those who have no filter. Also, in Brno, Czech Republic.

This is a pretty typical view in Prague when walking alongside a building.

Also typical. It always makes me sad that people would deface the property of others.
I like this one because someone knew burning books is bad, and expressed the appropriate enthusiasm for reading by crossing out burn and adding an exclamation point. This one was outside of a book store in Vienna, Austria.

The girl in me is wondering if this is some sort of Pokemon character... and what he's saying.

Some of the graffiti can actually be called street art. I thought this one was beautiful. I'm sure there's symbolism in here somewhere--an English teacher could find it from a mile away--but I just think it's pretty.

Parenting... done right.

The teenage boy in me thought this was really funny.


Even at the bus stop there's more.

I'm not sure if this craze for graffiti is simply because things have been here longer, or if because there's an abundance of hooligans in Europe who ran out of room in their own bad neighborhoods. But, as my yoga teacher says, "Life is art." And it may not be the prettiest painting, but it's there, and it is for us to enjoy.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment