Thursday, April 24, 2014

Am I becoming... a man?

We all know men share a common super power: selective hearing. If a guy is focused on one thing, the entire world around him becomes a gray blur absent of sound and activity. You know it's true. To observe the super power, first, find a male of any age, second, observe him playing video games. If you're a mom, ask him any question, and the program response is some version of "yeah" or "in a little bit." During this time, "in a little bit" translates to an insurmountable amount of time, never, or I'm going to ask you what you asked me to do in about an hour and a half.

What if I told you that this super power was not unique to men, and also that you can acquire this power to have of your very own?! All you have to do is spend a semester in another country that speaks a language other than English.

As an avid student, I enjoy learning. Honestly. I like listening to the things going on around me, reading signs, and discovering new things about a place. Here, I can't understand anyone--non even the recorded voice on public transport--I can't read any of the signs, and it's hard to discover new things when the person you're asking doesn't understand your question. I feel actually physical pain when I can't understand something. It depresses me and makes my stomach hurt.

So, hello super power! My body has found a way to avoid the pain of not understanding. Because, if you totally blur something out, you don't know whether you can understand it or not! Score! This scares me for two reasons.

1) Reverse culture shock.
If you've never read or heard about it, you can find more information here. It's a real thing and it's a real challenge. Basically what happens is while you're abroad you become used to the culture in the new country. However, many people build up America so much in their minds while they're away that returning is depressing. Some guys from K-State we talked to before coming here said reverse culture shock for them was very depressing and it took them months to get over.
I read one blog and it seemed like the guy had the same "super power" I'm developing. But, he said when he returned to the states everything seemed so loud. I'm trying to be an active listener in class, which is really difficult, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

2) Persistent super powers.
I HATE it when men use this super power! It is the most frustrating thing in the world. (Ask any mom who just wants her son to take out the trash!) So even though it's protective of my mental health at the moment, I really hope that it doesn't continue once I get home. If this could just be a six month thing I would be totally find with that. :)

Anyway, thank you for "listening" to me ramble on about super powers for a little while. Again, if anyone has any input or advice, please email me or leave a comment! Thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment