Saturday, April 19, 2014

It costs less to go to Kostelec!

When Ty and I talk about Study Abroad to people, our formal education is typically the last thing to come up. I call it "formal education" because each day is a learning experience. Being half way around the world forces you to learn new things; you have to adapt, grow, and eventually learn to enjoy yourself no matter where you are.

Today, I will spare you from my talks of fabulous brewery tours and beer snobbery, and treat you will a story about actual schooling. 
Ty and I are enrolled in a class called "English for Debate Purposes." We took it because a) it would give us a few extra credit hours and b) we wanted an insight into European opinions of controversial subjects. I have to admit that the debate isn't very formal, and while I haven't learned much about parliamentary debate procedure, I have been enlightened by my peers and by my professor.
Our teacher is an elderly stereotypical British woman. (I'm not lying, she literally used the phrase "Tally ho!" the other day.) She's been in the Czech Republic teaching for quite a while, and works out of the Forestry Department of our university. Because of her we've been able to listen to ambassadors from Russia and India about forestry policies in their countries. 
She always says Ty is her best student and introduces me to the ambassadors as her "bright young special American student." I'm not sure whether it's because of her British charm or that she's taken a genuine liking to us, but she invited Ty and I to participate in a field trip to Kostelec to see the castle and hear about Forestry research in Kostelec. The bus tickets were only two dollars a piece, and the meal was only $3.25. It was already shaping up to be a great day!

We started the trip at the castle because of the bad weather. By the time we arrived it was pouring down rain, and--go figure--none of the students had thought to bring an umbrella.

This was a dining hall the castle sometimes rents out. Can you believe when the castle was first made that this was the location of the stables? I think the people who did this should have their own house flipping show!

For a pretty reasonable price (about $40-$100 a night) you could have your very own room in a castle decorated with the many mounts shot by the Rector. I believe they mean the president of the college... who is a killing machine! There were at least a hundred mounts of various animals hung about the castle. He definitely kept the Kostelec taxidermist in business!
They called this behemoth of an animal an "antelope" but it definitely doesn't resemble the "antelopes" that my uncle makes delicious pastrami from! (Cue an "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto." moment.)

Aside from the animals there were many antique furniture pieces. I really enjoyed the old wooden designs. 

I also enjoyed this very large antler chandelier. (Also made from the antlers of the rectors victims!) However, after seeing the very nice antler chandeliers my dad has made, this one was a bit of a let down!

The ballroom, however, was not a let down! The moment I stepped in here I imagined myself in a ridiculously poofy--and hot--ballgown with my waist sucked in tight with a corset. Then, in my daydream, I fainted from lack of oxygen in my and was brought back to reality to take this picture! 

Our tour guide brought us to the top of the castle. Being from Western Kansas I quickly became entranced with the rain and took a picture so I would remember what it looks like when I go home.

We then went to the chapel. For about 2,500 crowns ($125) you could be married in a castle! Our guide insisted on playing wedding music. I not-so-secretly found myself wishing Ty and I had eloped while we were in Prague. It could have saved us a lot of money!... Minus the $2,400 for plane tickets.

After the tour we were scheduled to visit our university's forestry research unit, and a snapped a few shots on the way. 




The location of the Forestry research unit was rather picturesque! There were tall trees everywhere--purely for decoration I'm sure--buildings were sparse, and the sky took a break from its pity party long enough for the sun to come out! 

Sadly we had to depart and leave back to the crowded city. But I left Kostelec a little happier, and a lot more informed than I was before I visited. 

Thanks for reading! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment