Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Culture Shock

I am a planner. Plain and simple. My whole life I've known my next move, how I was going to get there. I've planned every conversation before I've had it, considered possible responses, and every word I would say. (That's not to say I haven't been caught off guard a few times.) I believe if it's under my control I shouldn't be nervous, because I can trust myself to handle it.

So it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that before we came here I read just about every single blog known to man--and some known to monkey--about study abroad, the Czech Republic, Prague, culture shock, and a plethora of topics related to travel. Even with all this preparation, there are just some things you can't prepare for.

1) Ketchup. It's 8 crowns a package here. Really? 40 cents for a packet of ketchup? I usually eat 10 with my meal! So when we go out to eat, we just have to do without--or do the sneaky thing and bring your own. ;)

2) Hot chocolate. Okay, I know what you're thinking, how could hot chocolate be different? You open the package, put it in some hot water and voila! No. I present to you hot chocolate flavored pudding:

3) Languages. Before we came here everyone said not to worry; most people speak English there. Ummm no. Most people speak about three words of English there. We've had luck ordering beers, but that's about it once we get off campus.

4) How wonderful it felt to eat McDonald's. I know, I know, it's just McDonald's. But sitting down to eat a Big Mac--that was actually called "Big Mac" on the menu--had to be one of the best feelings. It gave me a little taste of America. (haha get it? taste? it's punny)

5) Manners. So I'm not sure whether this is a country thing or a nicety thing, but our suitemate doesn't knock on the door before she enters the bathroom... even if someone is in the shower and the water's going. I want to clarify and say that I wouldn't mind if she came in for two seconds while I was taking a shower to use the bathroom or brush her teeth or whatever, IF she knocked before she came in to make sure we were decent. But she doesn't, and hello, my husband takes showers in there too! I'm pretty sure we're going to be having a chat soon. -_-

6) Laundry. There are only two small washers for our entire dorm building. I'm not sure how many people are in our dorm, but on our floor out of a four floor building there are at least forty people. Luckily no one here gets up early, so we got up and got the laundry key at 6 in the morning and did our laundry. Also, there aren't any dryers here.
This is where we dry our clothes. You get a key for your "boxxy" and you lock your clothes in there. It took us about two and a half days to get all of our clothes dry. There are only six boxxys for the whole building. 

7) Advertisements. They're just different. Here's an example:
So apparently Steel Panther is promiscuous? haha I think that's a tour I'll be missing!

8) Professors. So far, every single one of my professors has been at least five minutes late to class with no apology, explanation, or anything. I'm not sure whether that's because it's the first week of class and things are hectic or that's just the way things work around here.. I guess I'll find out!

Sometimes I wonder if "Culture Shock" is a fancy word for "Home Sick" because most of the surprises make me miss home. But then I remember that I'm on an adventure. The pilgrims figured out how to communicate with the Native Americans, harvest food in a totally new land, and only suffered a few casualties. Lewis and Clark braved the open land WITHOUT internet. I'm sure we can survive Europe.

Again, if you have any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them! :)
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment