Wednesday, February 5, 2014

When in Europe...

The phrase shouldn't be "When in Rome do as the Romans do." It should be "When in Europe... get drunk!" I feel like everything here is practically screaming "drink me!" There was literally at least five aisles full of wine. And that's just wine, I'm not even counting the aisles of hard liquor (spice rum, vodka, whiskey, you name it and it was there.) In fact there are three (THREE!) pubs on campus. One of them is in the dorm I live in. All I have to do is open the door to our room, turn the corner, and BOOM, there's a pub!

In fact, Ty and I made our first appearance in a European pub yesterday.

A full pint (what Ty's holding) was only 24 crowns, which adds up to a little over a dollar!


The picture on the right is my best impression of the crazy guy walking around campus a couple of nights ago.

So before anyone gets all high and mighty on me about drinking I want to point out a few things.
1) I am 18. A legal, voting, driving, married adult. I can have a beer if I want to!
2) We had one beer and left. Honestly I'm not much of a beer drinker and Ty had to help me finish my pint!
3) It's part of the culture here. Really. Czech has the largest per capita consumption of beer in the world, but to tell you the truth I've only seen one drunk in the city so far. It's a cool, social way to hang out with friends.The Czechs I've met are also very proud of being the original creator of Budweiser. 

I had a great time on my first trip to the pub and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the city today! The college organized a tour of Prague--more pictures to come later! :)

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment